Settlement permit special cases of gainful employment

The “settlement permit special cases of gainful employment” entitles the holder to settle and work for a certain employer.

It is usually issued for 12 months. You can find more information on the validity period of residence permits here.

Who can receive a „settlement permit special cases of gainful employment“?

In addition to proof of compliance with the general conditions for granting the residence permit, a contract of employment for a relevant activity must be submitted. The “settlement permit special cases of gainful employment” can be granted for the following activities:

  • scientific, educational, cultural and social activities in educational institutions or institutes of a scientific, cultural or social character established on the basis of an international cultural agreement
  • activities in diplomatic missions or consular posts or in intergovernmental organizations vested with diplomatic prerogatives or in permanent representations to such organizations, or in respect of their activities as employees of such foreigners;
  • Pastoral care activities within the framework of legally recognized churches and religious communities
  • special managerial staff, their spouses and children and their foreign staff who have been in direct and lawful employment with the special manager for at least one year and whose continued employment is necessary to support the special manager
  • reporting for foreign media in word, sound and image for the duration of their accreditation as foreign correspondents at the Federal Chancellery as well as foreigners with regard to their activities absolutely necessary for the fulfilment of the tasks of these reporters for the duration of their notification to the Federal Chancellery
  • Scientific activities in research and teaching, in the development and appreciation of the arts and in the teaching of the arts and their spouses and children
  • Scientific, educational, cultural and social activities in the European Center for social welfare policy and research
  • Educational activities of foreign teaching staff including supervision of pre-school classes from the age of three at the International School in Vienna, the American International School in Vienna, the Danube International School, the Graz International and Bilingual School, the Linz International School Auhof, the Anton Bruckner International School, the American International School Salzburg, the Vienna Elementary School, the Vienna European School, the Amadeus International School Vienna, the Japanese International School in Vienna and the International School Carinthia;
  • Technical activities under intergovernmental agreements on air transport
  • Teaching or research activities at institutions for the implementation of degree programs at universities of applied sciences
  • Military professional activity at a department of the Federal Ministry of Defense
  • Scientific or pedagogical activities or an activity within the scope of training at the Diplomatic Academy and the Security Academy
  • Official duties as a staff member of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP), the institute for Chinese culture - Taipei economy and culture offices, the international Biathlon Union (IBU), the International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation (CIC), the International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI), the international press institute (IPI) as well as Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership – REEEP, the International Peace Institute (IPI), the World Institute for Nuclear Security (WINS), the Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation (VCDNP), the Vienna Economic Forum (VEF), the International Union of Forest Research Organisations (IUFRO), Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All), Ground Truth Solutions, the World Public Forum – Dialogue of Civilizations (WPFDC), the Ban Ki-moon center for global citizens and the FES regional office for cooperation and peace in Europe

What are the requirements for a “settlement permit special cases of gainful employment"?

The general and special conditions for the granting of a residence permit must be fulfilled.

Further information on the general requirements can be found here. You will find a list of the necessary documents in the respective application form.