Blue Card

The Blue Card enables highly qualified workers from third countries to immigrate to Austria.

The Blue Card entitles the holder to settle and to work for a specific employer. It is usually issued for 24 months. You can find more information on the validity of residence permits here.

Who can receive a Blue Card?

A third-country national will be granted a Blue Card if he

  • has completed a university course of at least three years' duration
  • has a binding job offer for at least six months in Austria and the employment corresponds to the training
  • receives an annual salary which is at least the average gross annual salary of full-time employees and
  • the Public Employment Service Austria (AMS) is unable to place equally qualified workers who are registered with the AMS as job seekers (labor market test).

What are the requirements for a Blue Card?

The general and special conditions for the granting of a residence permit must be fulfilled, except for the requirement of sufficient income and locally customary accommodation. This is not applicable.

Further information on the general requirements can be found here. You will find a list of the necessary documents in the respective application form.

The residence authority involves the Public Employment Service (AMS) in the procedure for examining the special requirements. In a one-stop-shop procedure, the residence authority is the point of contact for the applicant. The AMS checks whether

  • the applicant has successfully completed a full course of university education lasting at least three years or if exceptions apply,
  • there is a binding job offer for at least one year in Austria and the employment corresponds to the training
  • the remuneration corresponds to the legal minimum level and
  • no equally qualified job-seeking employee can be found for the position.

If all requirements are met, the AMS sends a confirmation to the residence authority.

The residence authority checks whether the general requirements are met. If this is the case, the residence permit can be issued.

What happens after two years? Is it possible to switch to a "Red-White-Red Card plus"?

A Blue Card can be issued upon application, if the requirements for granting still exist.

Furthermore a "Red-White-Red Card plus" can be issued in the renewal procedure if the applicant was employed for at least 21 months within a 24-month period under the conditions applicable to admission. The Labour Market Service (AMS) checks whether these conditions are fulfilled.

The "Red-White-Red Card plus" entitles the holder to a temporary establishment and unlimited access to the labour market. Further information on the "Red-White-Red Card plus" can be found here.