Settlement Permit - Researcher

The "Settlement Permit Researcher" entitles the holder to exercise an employed activity as a researcher.

The "Settlement Permit Researcher" is generally issued for 24 months. You can find more information on the validity period of residence permits here.

Who can receive a settlement permit researcher?

In addition to proof of fulfilment of the general conditions for granting a residence permit, a hosting agreement with a certified research institution or a research institution that does not require certification under the Settlement and Residence Act (e.g. university) must be submitted.

The settlement permit can be extended once for 12 months for the purpose of finding a job or founding a company if the general conditions for granting the permit are still fulfilled.

A change of the purpose of residence after job search/foundation of a company is only possible for the following purposes of residence:

What are the requirements for a “settlement permit researcher"?

The general and special conditions for the granting of a residence permit must be fulfilled, except for the requirement of locally customary accommodation. This is not applicable.

Further information on the general requirements can be found here. You will find a list of the necessary documents in the respective application form.

What happens after two years? Is it possible to switch to a "Red-White-Red Card plus"?

A “Settlement Permit Researcher” can be issued upon application, if the requirements for granting still exist.

Furthermore a "Red-White-Red Card plus" can be issued in the renewal procedure if the applicant was employed for at least 21 months within a 24-month period under the conditions applicable to admission.

The "Red-White-Red Card plus" entitles the holder to a temporary establishment and unlimited access to the labour market. Further information on the "Red-White-Red Card plus" can be found here.

Is it possible to be mobile within the EU? What are the rules?

Yes. On the basis of the "settlement permit researcher" you can work as a researcher in other EU member states under certain conditions. You can find more information on the EU Immigration Portal  or inquire in the country of your planned mobility. If you are planning to move to Austria from another member state, you can find more information here.