Residence Permit Volunteer

This residence permits is granted to third-country nationals for a stay in the context of the European Voluntary Service .

The residence permit volunteer is usually issued for 12 months. Further information on the validity of residence permits can be found here.

Who can receive a residence permit "volunteer"?

This residence permit can be issued if the general conditions are fulfilled and the third-country national will be working within the framework of the European Voluntary Service. An agreement with the host organization must be submitted to complete the voluntary service.

This agreement must contain

  • a description of the voluntary service and information about its duration
  • information on the conditions of employment, in particular on supervision and working hours
  • information on the resources available to provide the volunteer's subsistence and accommodation, including the volunteer's pocket money
  • if applicable, information on the training that the volunteer will receive to carry out the service properly

The submission of a declaration of liability is permissible.

An application in Austria is permissible after legal entry during legal stay.

What are the requirements for a residence permit “volunteer"?

The general and special conditions for the granting of a residence permit must be fulfilled, except for the requirement of locally customary accommodation. This is not applicable.

Further information on the general requirements can be found here. You will find a list of the necessary documents in the respective application form.

Can family members get a residence permit in Austria?

No. There is no possibility of family reunification with the holder of a residence permit “volunteer”.