Residence Permit social worker

The residence permit "social worker" entitles the holder to perform a service not subject to the Foreigners Employment Act (AuslBG) at a non-partisan and non-profit organization.

The residence permit "social worker" is issued for a maximum of 12 months. You can find more information about the validity of residence permits here.

Who can receive a residence permit „social worker“?

This residence permit can be granted if the general requirements are met and the third-country national will perform a service for a non-partisan and non-profit organization, which does not pursue any profit-making purposes itself. The service may not be for profit and must be of an educational or training nature.

The organization must submit a declaration of liability.

The change of the purpose of residence or the residence permit within the scope of a change of purpose or renewal procedure is generally not permitted. A change is only possible to a residence permit "family member" (granted to family members of Austrian citizens).

Likewise, holders of another residence permit or another residence title under the Settlement and Residence Act may not be granted a residence permit for “social workers”. The applicant may also not have held a residence Permit “social worker” in the last three years prior to the application.

What are the requirements for a residence permit “social worker"?

The general and special conditions for the granting of a residence permit must be fulfilled.

Further information on the general requirements can be found here. You will find a list of the necessary documents in the respective application form.

Can a residence permit „social worker“ be renewed?

No. A residence permit „social worrker“ can only be issued once.

Can family members get a residence permit in Austria?

No. There is no possibility of family reunification with the holder of a residence permit “social worker”.